Use Your O- and A-Level Subjects to Your Advantage When You Apply to University or College in Canada

GCSE General Certificate of Secondary Education
GCE General Certificate of Education
O-Level Ordinary Level
A-Level Advanced Level
GPA Grade Point Average

If you are an international student who has received GCSE O-Level and A-Level results, you can use this accreditation to your advantage when you apply to a Canadian college or university.
Before you apply, consider the following two questions:

  • Do you have evidence of having completed high school / secondary school? (Your high school diploma)
  • Do you have the specific combination of classes taken in your final two years of study? (These are the specific courses required by your post secondary program of choice. They should be indicated on your student transcripts.)

If you answered “yes” to both of those questions, you are in good standing to be admitted into university or college in Canada. The school you are applying to will review your transcripts to confirm that you completed the specific courses. These courses are provincially-examinable subjects and the scores you achieved will be used to determine your GPA. Keep in mind that universities and colleges require a certain GPA as part of their admission requirements. You can confirm your eligibility when you apply through ApplyBoard.

As part of the requirements for direct entry into a Canadian college or university, you will need to have completed the GCE with at least five O-Level subjects and two A-Level subjects. If you are a student with AS-Levels, Canadian schools require a minimum of four AS-Level subjects in place of the two A-Levels.
Direct entry requirements for O- and A-levels Direct entry requirements for O- and AS-levels
Keep in mind that the Canadian secondary school system is culminated when you successfully complete Grade 12. O-Levels alone will not qualify you for entry into a Canadian college or university since they are the equivalent to Canada’s Grade 11.

If you find yourself in this position without A-Level subjects, don’t worry, you have options. You do not need to stay in your home country to complete a full two-year cycle of A-Levels. With your O-Level subjects, you can receive credit towards Grade 11 and complete only one year of remaining equivalent studies before you begin an academic program at a Canadian university or college. Moreover, some institutions offer accelerated high school completion programs.

Once you have completed your A-Level subjects, you will stand at a higher academic level. You may even be given transfer credits for your first year of university, depending on the institution. It is always a good idea to investigate whether you can advocate for transfer credits. Where due, you will save time and money and you will not have to repeat courses if you have already taken the equivalent.
Want to check your eligibility and and receive assistance with your application? Go to our homepage and click “Get Started”. Your future awaits!
Information for this blog post was sourced from CIC News. Click here to read their article.