For today’s ApplyInsights, I’m sharing the list of the most popular post-secondary programs on the ApplyBoard Platform for international students coming to Canada. The programs below attracted the highest volume of applications in 2020 among all of the programs offered by our partner schools.1
I’d like to take a moment to congratulate all of our partner schools on offering highly desirable programs. We’re proud to partner with these leading institutions on our mission to educate the world!
Here’s what this blog post will cover:
- In-depth looks at the five most popular college and university programs on the ApplyBoard Platform
- The full list of the 10 most popular college and university programs offered by ApplyBoard partner schools
- Some notes about ApplyBoard’s program co-creation offering
We’ll start with the most popular college programs.
The Most Popular College Programs in Canada for ApplyBoard Students
Business programs are the top draw for ApplyBoard students in Canada and around the world. Seven of the 10 most popular Canadian college programs for our students in 2020 are in business or project management. Early childhood education accounts for two more of the top 10, including the number one.
Let’s take a look at the top five:
- Attestation of College Studies in Early Childhood Education, CDI College: CDI’s Early Childhood Education program is the most popular college program for ApplyBoard students. Through the program, students learn to plan, organize, and lead activities for pre-school and school-age children, helping those children develop critical emotional, language and social skills. The program is offered in 14-, 16-, and 24-month variants and includes a practicum.
- Graduate Certificate in International Business Management – Logistics Systems, St. Clair College: This two-year post-graduate program helps students build the necessary skills to understand, monitor, and influence the effective and efficient movement of goods and services across international borders. It prepares students for positions in areas such as logistics control, supply chain analysis, inventory control, and purchasing.
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management, Sault College: The eight-month Project Management program offered at Sault College’s Brampton, Ontario, campus provides students with theoretical and practical knowledge to manage projects in a timely and cost-effective manner. It is closely aligned with the Project Management Institute (PMI)’s Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) curriculum, a global standard for project management.
- Diploma in International Business, Conestoga College: Conestoga’s International Business program recognizes that Canadian businesses are increasingly getting involved in trade initiatives that take place across time zones, languages, cultures, and currencies. This program prepares students to carry out a variety of business functions in the global marketplace, including roles in sales, risk management, marketing, business planning, compliance, and research.
- Diploma in Computer Science Technology – Software Testing, Matrix College: This two-year program at Matrix’s Montreal campus furnishes students with specialized software testing abilities alongside knowledge of operating systems, databases, and programming. Graduates are well positioned for roles in the banking, insurance, health, and manufacturing sectors.
Top 10 Canadian College Programs
Here’s the full list of the top 10 college programs in Canada by applications submitted on the ApplyBoard Platform in 2020:
|1||CDI College||Attestation of College Studies – Early Childhood Education|
|2||St. Clair College||Graduate Certificate – International Business Management – Logistics Systems|
|3||Sault College||Graduate Certificate – Project Management|
|4||Conestoga College||Diploma – International Business|
|5||Matrix College||Diploma – Computer Science Technology – Software Testing|
|6||CDE College||Attestation of College Studies – Business Management|
|7||Canada College||Attestation of College Studies – Business Administration and Commerce|
|8||Fanshawe College||Graduate Certificate – Business Management|
|9||Fleming College||Graduate Certificate – Project Management|
|10||Sheridan College||Diploma – Early Childhood Education|
The Most Popular University Programs in Canada for ApplyBoard Students
Just as they are at the college level, business studies are a big driver of applications from ApplyBoard students looking to study at Canadian universities. The top four university programs in 2020, and six of the top 10, are in business. Three more are in IT and computing.
The following are the top five programs:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in Project Management, Yorkville University: Yorkville University’s BBA in Project Management is the most popular program offered on the ApplyBoard Platform across all study levels. Program content was developed to align with PMI requirements and culminates in a capstone where students work in teams to develop a project management plan and prepare for project execution, monitoring, control, and close-down. The program is offered in three- and four-year variants.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resources Management, Algoma University: This eight-month program at Algoma’s Brampton campus prepares students for a career as an HR professional. The course is suited for students who already hold another degree but are looking for skills in the HR field to complement their work experience and previous education.
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, York University: York’s eight-month accelerated Post-Graduate Certificate in Business Administration teaches students how to make strategic marketing decisions, effectively manage projects, and increase productivity. The program is designed for college or university graduates in fields outside of business and for early-career business professionals looking to pursue leadership roles.
- MBA Foundation and Master of Business Administration, University Canada West: For students who do not have the professional or academic qualifications to begin a Masters of Business Administration, University Canada West offers a three-course MBA foundation program that leads into its MBA program. The MBA includes a focus on digital marketing that leverages partnerships with market leaders such as Tableau Software, Salesforce, and IBM.
- Master of Information Systems Security Management, Concordia University of Edmonton: With the need for security professionals constantly growing, Concordia University of Edmonton offers this master’s degree in the IT security space. Areas of focus include risk analysis and disaster recovery planning, among others. The program leads to and provides students preparation time to write the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) exam.
Top 10 Canadian University Programs
Here’s the full list of the top 10 university programs in Canada by applications submitted on the ApplyBoard Platform in 2020:
|1||Yorkville University||Bachelor of Business Administration – Project Management|
|2||Algoma University||Graduate Certificate – Human Resources Management|
|3||York University||Post-Graduate Certificate – Business Administration|
|4||University Canada West||MBA Foundation and Master of Business Administration|
|5||Concordia University of Edmonton||Master of Information Systems Security Management|
|6||University of Windsor||Master of Applied Computing|
|7||New York Institute of Technology – Vancouver Campus||Master of Business Administration – Management|
|8||Lakehead University||Master of Science – Computer Science|
|9||Western University||Master of Professional Education – International School Leadership and Professional Certificate in Project Management|
|10||Cape Breton University||Post-Baccalaureate Diploma – Business Management|
Program Co-Creation with ApplyBoard
ApplyBoard is proud to work with academic leaders at many of our partner schools to help those schools develop programs geared toward international students. Using proprietary data from the ApplyBoard Platform and insights from our staff in-market, ApplyBoard is able to identify streams that are highly desirable for our partners’ target students. Whether it’s building out an institution’s post-graduate offerings or helping them capture more of the South Asian market, our program experts can help.
Algoma University’s Graduate Certificate in Human Resources Management is one of 10 graduate certificate programs ApplyBoard helped Algoma develop as it worked to expand its reach in key international markets. The top four Algoma programs on the ApplyBoard Platform in 2020 were ApplyBoard co-created programs, and all four were among the top 30 programs for all schools.
It’s a pleasure to work with the team at Algoma and many of our other partner schools on program design. If you’re interested in learning more about program co-creation with ApplyBoard, reach out to our Partner Relations team at email@example.com.
Published: February 4, 2021
Co-Founder and Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
Meti is driven by the belief that education is a right, not a privilege. He leads the International Recruitment, Partner Relations, and Marketing teams at ApplyBoard, working to make education accessible to people around the world. Meti has been instrumental in building partnerships with 1,200+ educational institutions across North America and the United Kingdom. Working with over 4,000 international recruitment partners, ApplyBoard has assisted over 100,000 students in their study abroad journey. Follow Meti on LinkedIn for more access to ApplyInsights and key industry trends.